Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tafiti and the Holy Spirit

Back from vacation. (What, you didn't notice I was gone?) I hit the ground Monday, and I'm up to about a gait, now. Training a new person at work, thinking about the surgery coming up, blah, blah.

Hopefully, there will be pictures of our vacation travels on LaffertyWhistle before too long.

Anyway, here's something – two somethings, to be precise:

This is cool, which, seeing as I've been thinking more about photosynth (also) this week, makes two Microsoft products I'm impressed by in the same week. I'm not quite sure what form my shame should take. Tafiti apparently means "do research" in Swahili, and though I haven't even tried this out, it looks interesting enough to mention. I hope to play with it some this week.

This is not cool. Very, very uncool. You might even call it blasphemy, because that's what it calls itself. The Blasphemy Challenge might be one of the most offensive things I've ever encountered. I haven't actually watched any of the videos on YouTube, but I have already noticed some responses from the other side. Still, it's sad.

I should point out here that I'm not certain the challenge quite has the point of Blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Taken from the Catholic Encyclopedia's entry The Holy Ghost:

* Sometimes, and in its most literal signification, it has been taken to mean the uttering of an insult against the Divine Spirit, applying the appellation either to the Holy Ghost or to all three Divine persons. This was the sin of the Pharisees, who spoke at first against "the Son of Man", criticizing the works and human ways of Jesus, accusing Him of loving good cheer and wine, of associating with the publicans, and who, later on, with undoubted bad faith, traduced His Divine works, the miracles which He wrought by virtue of His own Divinity.
* On the other hand, St. Augustine frequently explains blasphemy against the Holy Ghost to be final impenitence, perseverance till death in mortal sin. This impenitence is against the Holy Ghost, in the sense that it frustrates and is absolutely opposed to the remission of sins, and this remission is appropriated to the Holy Ghost, the mutual love of the Father and the Son. In this view, Jesus, in Matthew 12 and Mark 3 did not really accuse the Pharisees of blaspheming the Holy Ghost, He only warned them against the danger they were in of doing so.
* Finally, several Fathers, and after them, many scholastic theologians, apply the expression to all sins directly opposed to that quality which is, by appropriation, the characteristic quality of the Third Divine Person. Charity and goodness are especially attributed to the Holy Ghost, as power is to the Father and wisdom to the Son. Just, then, as they termed sins against the Father those that resulted from frailty, and sins against the Son those that sprang from ignorance, so the sins against the Holy Ghost are those that are committed from downright malice, either by despising or rejecting the inspirations and impulses which, having been stirred in man's soul by the Holy Ghost, would turn him away or deliver him from evil.
Think on.

2 comments:

Frank Walton said...

Just to let you know I have a blogsite against the blasphemy challenge here.

Christy said...

That site made my stomach churn. I am still shaking my head over it. Absolutely horrible... I'm going to have to agree with you about it being one of the most offensive things ever!!