Thursday, August 2, 2007

Seriously, what's so great about dogs?

I'm in the minority, here, I realize that; but honestly, apart from having children--which is all manner of awesome--who eventually learn to care for themselves and converse with you, why on earth would you want something else in the house that eats a lot and poops on the floor and will never learn to say, "don't worry, I'll clean up the feces I just deposited on your pillow"? I just don't get it.

That aside (though thanks to a female co-worker's recent purchase, I'm sure I'll be listening to giggly women gush about cute puppies all day at work) There have been plenty of things I've considered blogging about recently, but I just haven't found the time. So, I'll just fill some space by listing a few links here and let you draw your own conclusions about what I might have said, if I'd managed to make the time.

Blogging's PR Problem - "It's not the blogs I hate, it's their fans."

35 Million Book Buyers are Wrong

Dumbing Down American Readers

(Don't get carried away with the last two. I have no particular beef with Harry Potter--reading is, I think, almost always a good thing--and time will tell how valuable the series really is. I'm just saying, if it doesn't lead kids--or adults, for that matter--to read better & more difficult literature, then something is wrong)

Poetry amidst the Kultursmog - do read this one; it's particularly good.

Poetic License, with No Rhyme or Reason - Dave Barry on poetry. How could it not be funny?

1 comment:

Christy said...

HAHA, that cracks me up. I'm not even going to TRY to explain what is so great about dogs... I can see that you are not ready! :D In time, young grasshopper...