Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Cluttr | 20 (Occasionally) Awesome Links

I was going to link to a whole bunch of awesome things I found & read this morning. However, I neglected to make a proper list of said things, so I will now go through my browser's history (just today, don't worry) and comment upon things randomly.

MySpace: I think I'm about done with this one. I mean, I'm not 13, and... well, that's about it. Oh, and does the site just look bad, or is that perception just a result of my not being 13? I'm not really sure.

Facebook: Transitioning with ease, I will only say that even given the fact that it's better than MySpace, I'm not sure how long this will last. Granted, Facebook affords me the belief (regardless of its veracity) that I can do the whole social networking thing and be an adult at the same time, but I don't think I'm the only one watching it become overrun by people turning each other into werewolves, ninja converts and the like. Plus, I cannot imagine ever using it for email (which, by the way, alerts me to anything that happens on Facebook–I sense a disconnect; am I alone?).

Here I will interject a thought I keep having, and have probably already had on this blog. The idea of social network platforms is just blueprints for chaos. I understand that people want to identify themselves with other people of like mind, I really do. My problem is that each new network just adds to the clutter (or is it cluttr? Ooh, I like that. I shall henceforth refer to all things that are redundant and generally not helpful in a big picture kind of way that are generally labeled "web 2.0" as "cluttr"). What the internet needs is something that allows people who are using different applications to connect with each other through those applications. I kind of like what the people at Flock are doing, but I think we're still a few cognitive steps away. We need someone to get us from aggregation to interconnectivity, or inter-interactivity.

Speaking of which, Flock is awesome. If I weren't at work, I'd probably already be playing with it.

I really couldn't stop with the Firefox extensions earlier. So far, there's BlogRovR, Twitterbar, and the Google Reader Watcher. All three have proven mighty amusing, and hopefully each will prove equally useful.

I'm still trying desperately to coordinate my Google Bookmarks with my bookmarks on Del.icio.us. Any and all tips are welcome.

I'm really not sure why people are so impressed by Achewood. It's funny at times, I suppose, but if my inability to laugh uncontrollably at something I don't understand makes me less, I don't know, less whatever, then so be it. You can give me xkcd, Dinosaur Comics, or Wondermark any day of the week.

If you want significantly less intelligent laughs, courtesy the mouse of a bored cubicle-dweller, this week's Flea Circus is up: No. 4.

I love baseball. Love it. And this is all totally true.

People like you and me simply are not this lucky.

Remember Pee-wee?

One final thought: I love America's Funniest Home Videos (or whatever it's called now), and mostly that's because it often involves people falling or otherwise doing things that probably end up hurting a great deal. Maybe that makes me a bad person, I don't know, but this video definitely scratches that particular itch:



[NOTE – this was my original list of labels for this post, a list which Blogger deemed too long: MySpace, Facebook, social networking, cluttr, Flock, BlogRovR, Twitterbar, Google Reader Watcher, Google Bookmarks, del.icio.us, Achewood, xkcd, Dinosaur Comics, Wondermark, Flea Circus, baseball, Pee-wee Herman, America's Funniest Home Videos, videos.]

No comments: