Thursday, April 3, 2008

Phrase of the Day: Booty, God, Booty

I'm feeling random; good luck keeping up.

A full Biblical 40 years ago today, Martin Luther King, Jr. gave the last speech of his life: I've Been to the Mountaintop. A lot of people smarter than me have pointed this out, but the end of the speech is almost hair-raising:

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. [applause] And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land! So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord! [emphasis mine]
I heard a pretty good segment about the speech on NPR this morning: Remembering MLK's Prophetic 'Mountaintop' Speech. Read the whole speech if you've got time. If you don't, at least watch this video of the section I quoted above (and don't even try to tell me it doesn't send shivers through your entire body)



I'm glad he didn't sneeze, too.

* * *

You know what I'd like? I think I could handle a week that consisted of workdays like this: 8-5:30, with an hour and a half for lunch. Why, you ask? Because if a long lunch was good enough for Beethoven and Gandhi, it's good enough for me.


* * *

16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me in School. These all make really good, deep sense to me, and I'm sure they will to you, too. It's a whole is greater than the sum of its parts kind of thing, I think. Put most or all of the things on the list into action in your life, and you'll do just fine. Of course, it's considerably easier said than done. (via Stephen's Lighthouse)


* * *

Stuff Christians Like. An obvious direct spin-off of Stuff White People Like, and at least as funny.

No comments: